Tuesday, May 18, 2010

DAD'S KNEE REPAIR

It was a brrrrrright sunshiny day... when I went in for arthroscopic surgery on my left knee. I sanitized my knee with a couple of anti-bacterial scrubs, showered and didn't shave and wore loose clothes and was checked in and in my seat at the appointed time for my knee repair job. Mom came with me and waited the next four hours before I was wheeled into the OR. The hospital was embarrassed about the delay so they gave us a pair of tickets to the local theater.

Once in the prep room I got my hospital gown on, vital signs taken, and after three tries and some cokorful green wraps they finally got the IV started. Already to go... but no, its time to wait. Three and a half hours later I was wheeled into the operating room and the next thing I remember I was in the recovery room with mom and feeling pretty good compared to what I thought how I might be suffering.

It took me a few minutes to sober up, but I came out of surgery with a smile for mom and a cold packed and wrapped knee.

After a few minutes of recovery and missing a few meals a cold drink of juice tasted good. I was ready to go after 15 minutes, but again had to wait through the one hour protocol period. Once that was endured mom packed me up and they wheeled me out to the car and headed home.

The doctor said most of the issue was related to arthritis and a little cartilage to trim up. Sounds like he did about all that can be done, if there is a future problem I'll be a candidate for knee replacement. This procedure was a good as ever could be. I have no pain... in fact my knee feels better now than before the surgery. I was surprised I was able to walk without pain. It was awkward to move because my knee had an Ace wrap and a cooling pad strapped to my knee. My prayers and your prayers have truly been answered in my behalf. Thank you for your support.

We got home and I had a PB&J, and got settled on the bed with my leg elevated, cooling pad on my knee and computer on my lap. I had no pain, but I did have a cold knee. Mom has been at my side and a great support all the way.


I slept well last night. Only one more day of being hooked up to the motorized cooling pad, then I'm free. Tomorrow I'll still have the wrap on, but if the weather will cooperate, I'm going to head out to the yard and mow the lawn.

I'm on the mend and feeling good. Thanks for your calls, thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well! Those out-patient surgeries seem to be a pain in the neck, or knee in your case. Dana went in for out-patient hip orthoscopic whatever and was supposed to be able to walk out of there right after. NOT! She was there on time, but got postponed once the IV was put in and waited 5 hours. The surgery was more difficult than expected and she stayed in the hospital overnight and was on crutches for a week.

    ReplyDelete